FEATURED // OH SO LOVELY ON BETTER KANSAS CITY

February 26, 2015

Hope everyone is having a great week!

I was live on KCTV5's Better Kansas City today with another DIY project...fabric-wrapped flower pots!



You can watch the segment here if you'd like: http://goo.gl/4CBSek 

It was kinda rushed. If you want step-by-step photos head one post backwards on the blog. :)
xoxo

DIY // FABRIC WRAPPED POTS

February 24, 2015

Looking for an inexpensive and super cute gift idea? Well you might want to try making your own DIY fabric wrapped terra cotta pots. 
They're so easy to make, and bring in a fun pop of color for a hostess gift or housewarming gift—you name it. Who wouldn't like receiving one of these? A crazy person, that's who. :)
PS. KC peeps - I'll be back on KCTV5's Better Kansas City this Thursday morning (2/26/15) in the 9:00 hour showing how to create these beauties. Tune if you can!



All you need:
+ Super cheap terra cotta pots in various sizes
+ Any extra fabric you have on hand
Mod Podge
+ Brush


Cut enough fabric that will wrap fully around your pot with a little overlap. Don't forget to lave extra room to fold it over the top and bottom (at least 2" on both sides). If you use too large of a piece of fabric, don't worry...you can trim it down as you need to while you're wrapping the pot.
Option with more fabric than you'll need...I trimmed down lots of excess fabric on this version.




Option with less fabric...I trimmed off less fabric on this one. Both work. :)












Heavily coat a section of the pot with Mod Podge and begin to stick the start of your fabric to the pot with your hands. Continue this step all the way around until the side fabric is fully adhered. The fabric works better the wetter it is, so be generous with that Podge.


















Next, coat the extra fabric at the bottom of the pot and fold down, flattening the fabric. Add one more coat of Podge to the finished sides for security. 
Next, cut slits in your fabric around the top, and fold the fabric over the top and coat with Podge.




Coat your entire pot top to bottom once more with a thin coat of the Podge to ensure durability, and let it dry. Once dry it will have a hard, solid feel, and the Podge will be clear.

That's it! :)
These pots are best for indoor use...the glue could wash off over time of left outside.

DIY // UPDATES ON A DIME

February 23, 2015


Happy Monday, lovelies!

As I've mentioned before, we've owned a small rental house in Olathe, Kansas for 10 years. We decided that it's finally time to (hopefully) sell it.

I had a busy, final weekend at the rental doing last-minute updates. I don't even wanna tally up the hours I've spent there over the last two weeks painting, cleaning, staging, landscaping, etc, but at least it's as done as it can be (and for the record I estimate about 40 hours at the house in the evenings). It was tough having our 20 month old and the hubs at our main house for most of the time, but I feel pretty proud that I flipped this house 98% myself.

Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon upgrading all of the brass door handles and the brass fan to an oil rubbed bronze finish. Replacing these items would have cost us almost $300, but a $5 can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint and some patience changed that.

I removed all of the door knobs, and the hubs helped me remove the ceiling fan. I cleaned everything, then got busy spray painting.



I poked the door knobs through an old cardboard box to keep the knobs upright, and sprayed three light coats of paint on them, and let them dry.

PS. I only had my phone with me at the house, so please excuse the phone pics throughout. 




 I think they turned out pretty nicely.



Watch the screwdriver when you screw the knobs back in. If it removes any of the paint, I suggest using a little bit of touch up spray paint.

On to the fan...

I had trouble removing the fan, so I had the hubs help. It was a little more complicated than a regular fan removal.



Once it was removed, I broke down all of the pieces and spray painted all of the brass with three light coats.



Once dry, I screwed everything back together.



I have to say...I'm pretty proud of myself for putting the fan back together and hanging it up all by myself. It even worked properly afterwards, haha! That is something Ted normally does, but I knew I could do it. :D

I'll have more of the DIY project details and the after photos for the rental available this week (of course I was too overwhelmed with the house in it's original dirty state, and forgot to take before photos...dangit).

The house goes on the market today....whoohoo! Fingers crossed it sells quickly. :)